2Blades is seeking a talented, mission-driven professional who is passionate about productive, sustainable food systems for all, to lead 2Blades’ communications and fundraising efforts. The successful candidate will be able to translate the technical aspects of our work into accurate and engaging written, spoken, and visual materials for policy-makers, granting agencies, donors and general audiences. They must be comfortable engaging in high level discussions with government, funding, academic, and media institutions. The role provides the Director of External Affairs with the opportunity to amplify 2Blades’ mission and impact to attract funding resources for the work. They will interact with the management team and staff, and complement efforts and income obtained through business activities. The position may be associated with one of our locations or fully remote, with 20-30% time for domestic and international travel.
Job Title: Director of External Affairs (DEA)
Reports To: President
Job Function: The primary responsibility of the DEA is to develop and implement an integrated strategic external affairs plan that builds on our success while continuing to increase the organization’s revenue, visibility, and reputation as a leader in food security. The DEA will hone and deliver the key messages of the organization and its mission to effectively engage with and influence external audiences, including policy-makers, foundations, corporations, donors and general society. The DEA will work with the President, Board, Sustainability Council and staff.
- Communicate the mission of the organization to key audiences
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities
- Follow policy developments and advise President and board on strategy
- Work together with President and key staff on resource needs for program objectives
- Collaborate with science staff to clarify funding goals and draft concept notes
- Produce timely communications, web content, and newsletters, and manage website and social media accounts
- Engage with Boards and Sustainability Council.
- Work with Director of Administration and Finance to produce financial reports; prepare and manage communications and fundraising budget
- Provide talking points for staff
- Develop annual report and other promotional materials.
- Present reports and updates to the management team and Board of Directors. Analyze results and evaluate effectiveness of communications and fundraising strategies
- BA or BS degree
- Experience creating clear and compelling written and live presentations
- Experience planning, drafting, and delivering strategic communications, including press releases, op-eds, talking points, fact sheets, reports, and original material
- Experience with raising money from government agencies, foundations, impact investing, corporations and individuals
- Successful record of achievement securing major gifts or multi-year grants
- A love of writing and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to accuracy, credibility, and reputation
- Relationships and an excellent reputation with stakeholders in ag policy and funding
- Interest in science, agriculture, food security
- Detail-oriented with excellent follow-through
- Able to produce materials for board meetings and other events, including development updates, informational packages, and board engagement in fund development activities.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong prioritization skills and the ability manage multiple projects in parallel
- Able to engage and motivate staff
- Willing to work flexible hours as needed
- Ability to work as part of a dynamic, mission-oriented organization as a member of the executive team, contributing to strategy development and management
- Commitment to positive organizational culture
- Ability to manage and prioritize diverse responsibilities including resource cultivation and management, events, public relations, marketing activities and communications plans
- A commitment to embracing science to solve real-world problems and to contributing to a safe, nutritious food supply for all
A highly competitive compensation package will be offered that includes base salary, generous 401k program, and complete medical benefits.
Interested candidates should submit a one page cover letter and resume via email to Diana Horvath at email@example.com. No calls please.
Applications will be accepted through November 30, 2022.