2Blades is seeking exceptional candidates to help the organization contribute to global food security and climate adaptation by serving as its Business Development Manager.
2Blades is a unique, non-profit, ag-biotech research organization with leading international expertise in plant science. It contributes to the global value chain by advancing and delivering genetic resistance to the major unmanaged pests and diseases of major crops. Improved varieties that we develop extend a plant’s ability to recognize pathogens and activate its natural immune system to ward off disease. We work globally with the public and private sector aiming to improve farmers’ productivity and incomes by reducing crop disease and yield loss, and to contribute to more sustainable and climate-smart agriculture. We work on behalf of both large-scale and smallholder farmers and to date have demonstrated resistance in wheat, soy, potato, tomato, and citrus against their most challenging disease threats.
Business Development Manager position:
2Blades seeks an entrepreneurial-minded individual with business development experience in the life sciences to join 2Blades management team. 2Blades takes a product-driven mindset to advance current knowledge of plant-pest interactions into crop varieties with long-lasting resistance to diseases for downstream delivery to partners in the commercial seed industry and non-profit crop improvement organizations. The BDM will cultivate and support the science, IP, and business activities of the organization and foster strong relationships with project, license, and funding partners to help achieve 2Blades’ mission.
- Lead and coordinate inter-institutional agreements for programs and support compliance
- Lead and coordinate technology licensing
- Organize and oversee intellectual property drafting and strategy with outside counsel
- Foster existing and establish new relationships with business partners and funders
- Contribute to identifying new program and business opportunities
- Participate in program reviews
- Contribute to grant writing
- Prepare reports for management
Education, experience, and skills:
We seek a candidate with experience in the development and management of life science projects and technologies, with strong knowledge and experience in business development, alliance management, contracts, and licensing. Experience in life science products is required, and experience in plant science and the seed industry is preferred. Specifically,
- A minimum of MS degree in a discipline relevant to life sciences, including biotechnology, genomics, gene-editing, plant pathology, disease resistance, plant breeding, and/or molecular marker applications
- 5 or more years of experience in a business development role
- Ability to thrive in a highly dynamic, multicultural environment
- A pro-active mindset and outstanding record of achievement
- The capacity to evaluate, justify, and make recommendations on deal structure and agricultural research and development
- Experience with negotiation, execution, conduct, and management of performance-based contracts
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Experience with grants, agreements, intellectual property matters
- Ability to think strategically, make new connections and generate new ideas
- Collaborative and inclusive approach to work, with an ability to effectively gain input from various stakeholders
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills for internal and external audiences
- Ability to prioritize, focus, and achieve results
- Flexibility and willingness to learn
- Track record of working well with others in teams and with highest integrity. Ability to work through remote interactions
- Dedication to mission of translating science innovation for sustainable food production and improved food security
2Blades’ headquarters are in Evanston, IL, and it has a dedicated laboratory Group based in Norwich, UK. The position is open to in-person and remote work. The position will involve travel (international and domestic) of up to 30% of the time.
A highly competitive compensation package including base salary, generous 401k program, and complete benefits is available. Interested candidates should submit a one-page cover letter and resume via email to Diana Horvath at email@example.com. No calls please.